Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Crawlin Crab 5K

I busted out laughing (in my cubicle at work) when I saw this pic. My face just about sums it up. Pain personified. 3.1 miles … the endurance athlete’s kryptonite. Still my favorite distance though. It’s over nice and fast.

Believe it or not I was actually pretty nervous about this race. I know…I know…it’s only 3.1 miles. But I had just done a half ironman 2 weeks prior, I was still trying to recover, and I was in a bit of a funk. I look back at some of my Facebook posts after the Outer Banks Half Ironman and I’m smiling, I sound confident and proud. But in reality I was super bummed and even had a few crying spells. While I was thrilled with the 11 minute PR and the 1:34 half marathon split, I was devastated over losing by 11 measly seconds. I went through a post race slump – or as some call it, the marathon blues. You train and train and train some more. Then there is a huge buildup of excitement and nerves. The race happens. And then it’s over. This is why it’s always good to have another race on the horizon.

Moving on…
The Crawlin Crab 5K…it’s the largest 5K in Hampton, VA (over 1,700 participants). While I had never raced the 5K distance, I’ve done the Crawlin Crab Half Marathon 3 times so I knew it would be a fun, well-organized race. Even though I’m a Flat-Out Events girl (for life), I will admit that J&A does a great job! Their races are always top notch – swag, medal, expo, beer, post-race party – all on point.

Back to the race….I hadn’t done a road race since April. I hadn’t done speed work in who knows how long. After the One City Marathon back in March it was all about the triathlon, specifically the half ironman distance, and improving my bike and swim. I believe I peaked at 30 miles this summer. Thus the nerves / pre-race jitters / I’m scared to race a 5K feeling. At the same time I was looking forward to getting back out there. I wanted to test my speed to see where I was at. And I was really looking forward to rocking my new racing singlet and representing my sponsors: Point 2 Running Company and Flat-Out Events! Plus I talked some friends into doing their very first road race so I was eager for them to experience “Race Day” (as I like to call it). 
In my new singlet. Pink is my lucky color!
Race Day
It was just as I remembered :-) Familiar faces, chill atmosphere….I love that “we are doing something healthy as a community” feeling you get at local road races. It’s one of the things I miss most during the triathlon season. There were a few times this summer when I’d go on Facebook and see my friend’s pics from some of the local races and I’d feel like I was missing out. Triathlons are quite different. You typically have to travel, sometimes you don’t know anyone, and the morning of the race is a little more stressful because you have to do all sorts of pre-race check-in requirements (bike check, transition set up, body marking, etc). Not that I have any regrets. The triathlon is what I’m most passionate about. But that doesn’t mean I don’t miss the simplicity of just running.
Race Morning. With Braxton. He's a junior ambassador for Point 2 and Flat-Out.
He does all the local races!
Before the start of the race I did an extra long warm up run like my coach had suggested. I was sweating a lot. It was humid! The dew point was over 70 and the humidity was in the high 80s. It was drizzling but it actually felt nice. I had two game plans circling around in my head: 1) take it out conservatively and go through the first mile in 6:10/15 just to make sure I could actually finish the race without shuffling to the finish line lol, or 2) take my chances and go out hard, under 6 minutes, and see how long I could hold on. I went with option 2. Sometimes you have to go for it.The horn blew and we were off. I took it out hard. I went through the first half mile around 5:45 pace. I eased up a bit and went through the first mile marker in 5:58. To my surprise, I felt great. I settled into a rhythm and joined a small pack of guys. 

About a mile and a half into the race I started to feel it. The pain was creeping in. Crap…I can’t hold this pace. I dropped back a little and let the guys go. Toughen up. You are almost at mile 2, and then all you got is one more mile. Catch back up to them.  I gradually closed the gap and made it to the front of our little pack by mile 2. Ok it’s just one more mile. You can always make it through one more mile.
It’s very strange going from a 5+ hour race to an 18/19 minute race. The former is all about holding a bearable, steady pace on tired legs for 13.1 miles (after swimming 1.2 miles and biking 56). In my case, I worked on holding 7:14s. The 5K on the other hand is like a long sprint. 6 minute miles feels like absolute torture (in my opinion).

The last mile
All I was thinking was don’t give up, keep fighting, stay strong. I glanced at the clock and saw it ticking closer and closer to 19 minutes so I had to haul *ss if I wanted an 18:XX.
 
I did it. 18:58. First female (1,160 women) and fourth overall (1,775 people).

Am I thrilled with the time? Yes and no. It’s nowhere near my PR. I’ve gone under 18:30 a couple times. BUT considering I just did a 70.3 mile race 2 weeks prior I’d say that time isn’t too shabby. I’ll take it. And I’ll never complain about a win ;-)

Now for the best part…As I was waiting in the finishing shoot my friend Scott crossed the finish line. His first road race. He hit both goals – sub 23 minutes and top 10 in his age group.
Still working on trying to convince him to do the One City Marathon.....

My girl Catherine won her age group 
(after having not raced in a few months due to an ankle injury)

Catherine and I decided to do a cool down run and find our friend/coworker Chandra and cheer her on. As we were jogging it was like the sky opened up. Torrential downpour! Oh no. It’s her first 5K. She’s going to be miserable and curse me out. Quite the contrary! We found her and she was smiling and having a good ‘ole time.
 
"C-Seg Angels"... co-workers, friends, "family". Love you guys!!

Next up…I’m off to Columbus, OH next weekend to attend the National Black Marathoners Association Annual Summit and race the Columbus Half Marathon. As of right now I don't have a game plan...need to have that discussion with my coach first. I'd love to go for a PR. But we're thinking I'll have a better chance at that in November when I do the Virginia Running Festival Half Marathon.

If you're supposed to be affected by Hurricane Matthew, stay safe and dry! Thanks for reading :-) :-)

4 comments:

  1. Awesome reading :) thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw you at the first cone turn at mile 1. As you were already on the other side of the road I was coming up to the cone. I yelled "Let's Go Sika!!" I know you didn't hear me cuz you looked like you were "zoned" in!! I pulled a hammy just after mile one and had to limp walk the rest of the way. I couldn't participate in the Half Marathon the next day. I'm no where near as fast as you in the 5k but i felt like a sub 22 minute 5K that morning until i pulled up. Congrats on your overall finish!! You rock!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm sure I was totally in the zone at that point (or more like thinking "boy oh boy this hurts")! Sorry about the hammy :-( Hope you were able to defer the Half Marathon to next year. Sorry we didn't get a chance to chat! Hope to run into you at another one of the local races this fall.

      Delete