Friday, October 23, 2015

If you can't win the big things, take pride in the small accomplishments

After a disappointing end to my triathlon season in mid-September, I decided to take some time off. I usually have a hard time being inactive, but this time it was easy. I was mentally drained, physically exhausted and I had a busy two weeks of traveling planned: Kansas City for work and an amazing trip to the Bahamas with my family the week after.

During this time, I was able to reflect on the season as a whole. After sulking and feeling sorry for myself initially, I compared last year’s results to this year’s. And you know what? I improved by leaps and bounds. It’s so easy to get caught up on one bad race. Last year I never made it on the podium. Not even an age group award. This year I qualified for the US Triathlon National Championships (I opted to do another race instead…expenses made the ultimate decision). I also placed in every race I competed in, including a 2nd place overall finish at the Queen of the Crest Tri at the Jersey Shore and a surprising 4th place finish at Quantico. And I had the fastest female run split in the last four triathlons I did {including a 19:37 5K at the end of a sprint tri in Hampton}.

I’m not saying all this to brag….I have a longggg way to go before I earn bragging rights. But it paints a much larger picture. It shows how far you can come in a year with focus, motivation and consistent training. So although my last race pretty much sucked and I nearly dropped out a hundred times, I’m proud of the season I had. All the hours spent in the pool (staring at that black line), the countless brick (bike-run) workouts … they were all worth it! Note to self – always look at the bigger picture.


With the season behind me, I recently started focusing on road racing again. I hadn’t done a road race since April! In the past I would usually do a few 5ks/10ks and a half marathon during the summer. I was much more of a “running is my priority, swimming and biking is secondary” kind of athlete. This year (after the marathon) I decided to focus solely on triathlons: cut back run mileage and spend more time in the pool and on the bike. Since I mostly focus on Sprint and Olympic-distance triathlons, there’s no need for me to do super long runs. In fact, I think my longest run this summer was around 10 miles…that’s probably about all I could’ve handled with the heat/humidity anyway.

There were days when training felt unbearable!

With a half marathon (13.1 miles) on the schedule for October 18th, I had to kick my butt into gear. Last week (a few days before the race) I was extremely nervous; more nervous than usual. For once, I felt completely under trained. I worried that if I went out too fast I might end up walking, or worse, not finish. I decided to put a plan in place and adjust my expectations to something reasonable.

A look back at last year
I trained hard for this race and broke the 1 hour 30 minute mark for the first time.
Went out at 6 min 52 sec per mile pace and held it for 13.1 miles.
9th woman.

This year I decided to go out with the 1:35 pace group (7:15 mile pace) for the first two miles and then get faster with each mile. {I would have been okay with a 1:30:xx and ecstatic with a time faster than last year (1:29:56)}

Splits
mile 1    7:17.... "slow down. don't go out too fast." ~my thoughts
mile 2    6:58
mile 3    6:55 ... I think I was in 8th (for women) at this point in the race
mile 4    6:47
mile 5    6:33 ....I felt good so I decided to pick up the pace and pass a few women
mile 6    6:44
mile 7    6:36 ....Spotted the 5th female (with a group of men). Decided to catch up and run with them
mile 8    6:40
mile 9    6:46....At this point in the race I was completely satisfied with 5th and what looked to be a sub 1:30 half marathon
mile 10  6:37....But I still felt great so I decided to run the last 5k as hard as I could.
mile 11  6:46....and then there was a hill and a direct head wind :( I began to hurt...really bad.
mile 12  6:40.....I spotted the 4th place woman (and another hill). I put my head down and went for it.
mile 13  6:20.....My last mile happened to be my fastest mile.

This Year
Over a minute faster than last year.
4th woman.

I was ecstatic with my time and place. I feel like with proper preparation I can go a lot faster. Next up... a 5k on Halloween and then another half marathon in November.

Daily Press (local newspaper) Article on the race :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm really happy for you Sika and how well you did. It sounds like your running is coming along nicely. Do you have any plans to come up to Trenton soon? (selfish reasons of course)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hollie! Congrats on dropping a lot of time in your last few races. It always feels great when the hard work starts to show ;-) Unfortunately I won't be up there until Thanksgiving :( :( :( I'll let you know if my plans change. Not sure what your race schedule looks like, but you should consider the Trenton Half. Fast course and with your times you could win.

      Delete