Wednesday, October 21, 2020

I 'Raced' a 50K .. and still chasing that pro card

Since I started this blog back in 2012 I have posted a recap after every race. From my very first triathlon (a sprint) to crossing the finish line at the 2019 IRONMAN World Championships. So many ups and downs - from PRs and marathon wins to a major bike crash and just missing qualifying for my pro card. No matter the outcome, I have always found writing cathartic.

Now with COVID and races seemingly on hold, I haven't updated this blog since March!! However *drum roll* I technically raced last weekend.... in the "Steven Keller / Sika Henry 50K". A self-supported, 31-mile ultramarathon through the streets of Newport News and Hampton, VA, made up by yours truly πŸ˜…

I'm finally on Strava!

This was originally supposed to be a live, in-person race hosted by Flat-Out Events at the Noland Trail, but it was postponed until next year due to COVID. Lucky for me, my friend Steven asked if I still had plans to run the distance and offered to pace me. Side Note: he won Ultraman Florida, has qualified and raced in Kona yada yada... he's legit.

Finding ways to stay motivated
When Challenge Cancun and IRONMAN 70.3 Eagleman were cancelled this year, plus pools closed and social distancing in place, Coach Jonny gave me about a month of down time. Truth be told, I needed it. I was dealing with so many nagging injuries. While I'm proud of how quickly I came back after that epic crash last year, it took it's toll. I was truly riding that fine line of being in the best shape of my life and red lining before my half ironman in Cancun in April.

I still haven't gotten used to this "new normal" but I'm making the most out of it by doing things I typically struggle to find the time to do. 

Like spending weeks up north with my family (since I'm working remotely for now)
Mom, Dad, Nile (brother), and MOSES the Frenchie <3

Writing a heartfelt article for Bicycling Magazine on what brought me back to this sport after last year's accident, and why I truly believe representation matters:
https://www.bicycling.com/culture/a33511293/sika-henry-triathlon-needs-more-diversity/

And partnering with wonderful companies like HOKA ONE ONE who give their athletes a platform to share personal experiences in their respective sports:


I also set new athletic goals since I won't be racing a triathlon again until 2021. I wish I could say I'm self motivated, but I'm not. I need a carrot. So I wrote down three goals. 1) Race a 50K, 2) Break 18 minutes in the 5K, 3) Race a marathon (haven't done one since 2017... the marathon at the end of an Ironman doesn't count!).

First I did a solo 5K time trial on the track. 
18:39 (5:50, 6:01, 6:11). You know what? I was pleasantly surprised by this. Considering my lack of speed training, previous focus on the half / full ironman, and it being hot and humid, I'm excited that this is my base time. 40 seconds to drop between now and December.

Next up was a 50K. Ugh .... oh man. That.Was.Hard!!! It started out like this...
I was all happy and talkative and enjoying the first loop. Then it gradually began to wear on me. By the end, I wanted to cry πŸ˜† Keep in mind the circumstances. It was three ~10.3 mile loops, hopping on and off sidewalks, with 2 stoplights to navigate every loop. Plus this was self supported so there were no aid stations along the way. We only had one place to grab and dump fuel... my driveway! And last but not least, this was a two-man / woman show. No crowd, support, cheers, nada. Just Steven striding along effortlessly, occasionally glancing back to make sure I wasn't curled up in a ball on Big Bethel Rd.

I'm surprised how similar this felt to a marathon. Going through the half marathon mark I felt AMAZING, but once I hit mile 17 I started to feel a bit tired, less pep in my step. By mile 21 it was a wrap. I was hitting the wall. My legs felt heavy and negative thoughts crept in my head like "why the hell are you out here running 31 miles in the rain." My thoughts must have shown because Steven started yelling out positive affirmations "you're good at negative splitting... stay strong... no 7:30 minute miles allowed". I kept my mouth shut for fear that I would be verbally abusive and he'd leave me out there alone.  

We went through the marathon in 3:09 and let me just be real for a second, had he not been there I would have quit and walked my sorry behind home those last 5 miles.

But I didn't quit! I used every mental game in the book to get to mile 31. Official time: 3:45:26. Faster than I ran my very first marathon. Crazy what you're capable of, right?

What's next....
A marathon! Live, in-person. I have 4 weeks to recover, rebuild and race the Tidewater Strider Marathon in Chesapeake, VA (side note: registration is closed). 

My Marathon Progression:
2007 - 3:58:05
2015 - 3:11:16
2015 - 3:07:43
2016 - 3:06:55
2017 - 3:00:06
2020 - ???????

Excited to see what time I can run next month! And last but not least, since this is my blog and I can say what I want, go out and VOTE ;-)

5 comments:

  1. I love reading your blogs! You are so inspirational. Your dedication to meet your goals is unmeasureable l. Totally
    beautiful inside and out!πŸ’•

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've voted already. I wish my 2 50ks and 14 marathons were as fast as yours but I don't put in near the training/effort that you do.
    Awesome!! And a 2hrs 50mins on that next marathon time.
    Run fast and strong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it Sika! Keep striving to beat your yesterday and inspire so many others!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent ultra! I miss your blogs! Good to see you racing and killing it againπŸ€— You are an inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  5. What can I say ~ awesomeness ❤πŸƒ‍♀️πŸ™❤πŸƒ‍♀️πŸ™

    ReplyDelete