Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Baltimore Half Marathon & NBMA Summit

Off Season Racing
Proud of my top 10 finish in a competitive field and on a monster course!
It's hard to believe that it's been a month since IRONMAN 70.3 Atlantic City -- my last big race of the year. My coach gave me a lot of time off. Perhaps too much time off for my liking. The first week of doing nothing was glorious. The second week I started to get a little stir crazy... to the point where I pretty much asked my coach 'how much more of this do I have to endure?' Don't get me wrong. I totally understand the importance of recovery. I know I can't be in peak shape / race weight all year, but it's not easy watching your fitness slip away and the pounds pile on. I also thrive off of having a busy schedule. Not having to train on my lunch break and after work = too much time on my hands = overthinking / scouring the internet / living on social media. The one plus: I didn't feel like I needed a nap during work hours :-)

Speaking of social media... I have such a love-hate relationship with these apps. On the one hand, it's a great tool for connecting with others. I love being able to use my Blog, Facebook, etc to address the lack of diversity in endurance sports, expand awareness by showing what is possible, and provide a face to identify with. On the other hand, I hate how much emphasis companies place on having "Instagram followers." Literally! When you apply for some of these ambassador programs they straight up ask you how many followers you have. Am I the only one that feels uncomfortable and a bit embarrassed having to post pics of myself everyday, using filters and hashtags?? Sometimes it's cool though. I enjoy sharing certain things, but it does feel a bit like bragging. Exhibit A:
Onto the important stuff.... NBMA Summit & Baltimore Half Marathon
Every year the National Black Marathoners Association puts on a summit. It's a chance for us to meet in one location, honor outstanding running achievements, induct honorees into the hall of fame, and participate in the 5k/half marathon/marathon taking place that weekend.

With the Mayor of Baltimore, Catherine Pugh
First, I didn't know the mayor was black. Second, I didn't know she founded the Baltimore Marathon, and third, I didn't know that she was such a talented distance runner in her youth.

With Marilyn Bevans
She is the first African American female to break 3 hours. She also came in second at the 1977 Boston Marathon.

This year I was seated at a table with Alisa Harvey (qualified for the Olympic Trials in the 800 and years later in the marathon...crazy!), Gary Corbitt (historian, distance runner, and also Ted Corbitt's son), as well as Roosevelt Giles (Chairman of Atlanta Life Insurance Company) and Senior VP Howard Stephenson, and Coach Nicole from Conversation PACE. It's always a pleasure being in the company of such amazing people who all have unique stories.

I joined NBMA back in 2015; when I really started getting into road racing. In fact, the co-founder (Tony Reed) talked me into doing the 2015 Dallas Marathon. I was pretty naive back then. I was "coaching" myself, I had never flown to a race before, or participated in an event that large. I didn't know anyone! It was my 3rd marathon. I ended up crossing the finish line in 4th, with a new PR (3:07). That weekend gave me the confidence to come out of my shell and see how much further I could push myself. A couple months later I lowered my marathon PR to 3:06, then to 3:00:06, and then...well...I sort of quit so that I could focus on triathlon. So far it's been worth the transition...
IRONMAN 70.3 World Ranking (AG)
USA Triathlon State (VA) Ranking (AG)
Run for Fun
At the expo with my Mom, Dad, and friend T (Culpepper Glazer)
Mom: Are you nervous for the half marathon tomorrow?
Me: No, but I'm kind of bummed that I'm not fit enough to chase a PR and race for a top spot.

I can only do a limited number of "A" races a year. The kind of race that you train specifically for, peak at, and go to that deep dark place where you push yourself to the absolute limit. IRONMAN 70.3 Atlantic City was my last "A" race of the year and then I went right into recovery mode. The only race plan my coach gave me for Baltimore was to have fun. And can I just say that not having to pack a bike, wheels, wetsuit, helmet, ... makes life so much easier. I didn't have to get up at 4 am or set up in transition zone or have body marking done. I also didn't have to swim 1.2 miles then bike 56 miles first. All I had to do was jog a few miles, do some strides, and line up. A girl can get used to this!!
Lining up at the start
Every time I asked someone what they thought of this course I received the same response: "It's really hilly" (emphasis on hilly). I swear I was born allergic to hills. Running on hills is pretty much like making my way through quicksand. I live in Newport News, VA. It's pancake flat. When you don't train on hills, racing on them feels like death. I know, I'm dramatic. But it's true! My glutes hurt, I feel winded, my heart rate spikes. I swear, it's awful!! Just thinking about it right now makes my butt hurt.

My plan was to take it out conservatively (6:50 pace) and not really push until the last few miles. I checked results from previous years, and saw that a sub-1:28 could possibly get me top 3. What I didn't realize was that the race was much hotter in previous years. Anyhoot...the race started promptly at 9:45 and we were off. I swear I must have been in 20th place (for the women) through the first mile. I checked my watch: 6:25 f*@K!!!! Slow down. This is supposed to be fun. Stick to the plan. We went up a steep hill (6:50) and then descended (6:25). At this point I decided to let the women go. It was still early and I was confident that a lot of them would come back to me over the second half of the race. By mile 4 (6:51) it began to string out, and by mile 5 (6:40) I felt more in control.

I decided to eat a gel at mile 6. Freakin disaster. As I went to rip it open the entire pack exploded. To make matters worse I wasn't even halfway through the race and I was feeling beat up by the hills. I checked my watch - 7:04 mile (just kill me now). The day was getting interesting. 
I had some inner dialogue with myself and decided (1) this is supposed to be fun, (2) take in the scenery, (3) enjoy the next few miles and give it everything you have over the last 5K. 

I enjoyed the loop around Lake Montebello (mile 7: 6:46). Did anyone see the cute little black kids standing on the corner around mile 8 (6:45)? There was a row of them giving high 5s. Usually I'm so focused in races that I ignore this sort of thing. But I smiled and slapped each one of their hands except for the littlest one who must have been about 4. My 5'10" self just couldn't get that low. In fact, we started running through predominantly black neighborhoods and there were tons of people out on their porches and lining the streets. Can I just say that this way my favorite part. They cheered wildly for me as I passed by: "Yessssss Sista!!!!!" "Represent" "Making black look good" I felt the love. It was A-MAZING!!!

I took in a gel (success). And we started climbing again (mile 9: 6:48, mile 10: 6:50). Most things don't come natural for me, but I will give myself credit for being able to turn the burners on at the end of races.
Fastest splits during the race
With 5K to go, I went all out and passed a few fading females...

I crossed the finish line in 1:27:38 / 9th female
Probably explaining to my Dad that life would be easier if hills didn't exist. I don't think he cared.
Would I like to have been fit and ready to duke it out with the top women? Of course!! But I was there to have fun. And I did!! I'm still proud of my time/place. I also trust my coaches plan, and I know I'll be ready to peak when the time is right.
Photo Credit: Phoenix Michelle Photography
Thank you Tony Reed, Alex Williams, Charlotte Simmons, Gilles Bowden, and Toni Wilson for organizing these summits every year. Can you start picking some flat courses though?? Like the One City Marathon ;-)
With Tony and Alex at the finish line
A few more photos:
With CR Qualls <3
(On the left) Isaiah!!! He's done 18 Boston Marathons. (Tony on the right)
Chatting with Sonja McLean Williams
Next up...
The 757 Road Race (7-miler) = guaranteed PR (I've never done the distance). If you are interested in doing it with me, message me and I'll send you a discount code.

No comments:

Post a Comment