Friday, November 10, 2017

A VIP Experience at the NYC Marathon

I mostly write about my race experiences but last weekend’s festivities were too awesome not to blog about. So here ya go....

Exhibit A
Watching Shalane Flanagan become the first American woman in 40 years to win the NYC Marathon = Priceless

My connection to New York
Since I was born in New York City and raised in Northern Jersey (20 minutes outside of the city), I grew up watching the NYC Marathon. In fact, I didn't know other marathons existed for a long long time. No, not even Boston. My Grandpa was a sports fanatic (and a genetic freak of nature: athletically - Haywood Henry... a prodigious athlete...ran the 100 yards in less than 10 seconds and musically - he played on over 1,000 rock and roll records in the 1950s and 1960s) and I remember hearing him talk about the NYC Marathon every year. In fact, it became a goal of mine to one day participate. Of course at the time I figured I'd walk it. Never thought in a million years I'd become an endurance athlete. Funny how your life can head in a different direction than you ever imagined. It's also fascinating how conversations can shape the person you become today.

With my multi-talented Grandpa. Excuse the hair. And what am I wearing?!? Mom, seriously?
Me running in the One City Marathon earlier this year and trying my hardest to break 3 hours. I came up 6 seconds short but I think my Grandpa would be proud :-)
Enough with the nostalgia... I'm sure you're wondering how a regular Joe Schmoe like myself got VIP access to all of the NYC Marathon festivities. Long story (sort of) short: In late July I was chatting with Tony (Anthony) Reed, Co-founder / President of the National Black Marathoners Association and he mentioned doing a bunch of speaking engagements and NBMA meet and greets on the East Coast in Oct/Nov. I told him about Ironman 70.3 North Carolina and how I wanted to qualify for next year's World Championships. He agreed to make Wilmington, NC, one of his stops before heading up to New York for the marathon. "Did someone mention the NYC Marathon?!?! VIP access??"

With Tony at Ironman 70.3 North Carolina a few weeks ago. Yes, I qualified for next year's Ironman 70.3 World Championships!! Many people don't know this...Tony is the first person to talk me into traveling for a race. I used to be too scared. Somehow he got me to do the Dallas Marathon on December 13, 2015 - my birthday! Wonderful experience (4th female). I've been traveling for races ever since.

Of course when he mentioned the NYC Marathon my ears perked up. "Soooo Tony.. any chance I can tag along?" Tony: "I'll see what I can do". My mother always says "if you don't ask, you won't receive". TouchĂ© Mom.
The Golden Ticket
The timing was perfect. I had just wrapped up my tri season. Stay out late? Drink? Go to the marathon and NOT have to race?? Heck yeah! Flight booked. And lucky for me my parents still live right outside of NYC = no hotel fees + family time, AND my parents got to join me in the VIP tent at the marathon. THANK YOU TONY!

The evening before the marathon I had dinner in Harlem with fellow NBMA marathoners and got to catch up with friends I only get to see once a year at the annual summit. It was so strange listening to everyone talk about racing and paces and nerves. Usually I'm going through the same emotions. It was a welcome change being able to sit back, relax, eat what I want, have a beer, and not think about a bed time.

At Harlem Tavern
The National Black Marathoners Association has over 5,000 members
Our next stop was an event hosted by Running USA ("Network With The Running Industry") in Manhattan. As my friend Alex put it, "How often do you get to be in a room with 'Who's Who' of the running industry." FYI I saw Kara Goucher across the room and all I wanted to ask her was "Where is Emma Coburn?!?"....I'm such a fan of hers. Probably a good thing she wasn't there because they probably would have had to call security.
With Tony and Alex at Running USA's pre-marathon reception.
One of the most enjoyable conversations I had was with 2X Boston Marathon winner Geoff Smith.
With 1984 and 1985 Boston Marathon winner Geoff Smith.
This man was hilarious. He asked about my running and triathlon background. I proceeded to tell him about falling 6 seconds short of my sub-3 hour attempt and how frustrating and upsetting it was. He said "Oh that's nothing" and shows me this pic on his phone. 

That's not him with his arms in the air, basking in the glow of a Boston Marathon win in 1983. He's the other guy on the pavement that lost by a few seconds. Funny but not so funny. What I loved about his story is that he picked himself up and won the next year and the year after.
I feel so blessed to be able to have conversations with such fascinating people. I'll never take it for granted. Ever! In fact, I could go on and on about who else I chatted with that evening, but I'll end it on this note (because I still have to talk about the NYC Marathon lol)...one convo I did find helpful was with Liam Fayle, of Hawi Management. Yep, the sports agency that represents Meb Keflezighi, Kati Zaferes, and countless others. A snippit of our convo...

Me: So when do you know when you need a sports agent?
Liam: When different companies are trying to negotiate contracts with you, throwing out numbers and prices....
Me: Oh darn. I guess I don't need an agent :-)

The Big Day
With my parents near the VIP entrance to the NYC Marathon Lounge. Steps away from the finish line. Oh and I'm not an only child. My brother is in school. Nile - hurry up and finish. We miss you!
Media above. They must have been working with hundreds of cameras. I couldn't count all of the screens.
Watching the pro women take off...with hot coffee, donuts, eggs, muffins...the catering was on point!
In between watching the race and eating a ridiculous amount of food I met some AMAZING people.
ELIUD KIPCHOGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you have not seen the Documentary "Breaking 2" I suggest you watch it. He was part of the Nike sub-2 hour marathon record attempt. He ended up running 2:00:24. So close! I thought about telling him about my sub-3 hour attempt from earlier this year. I thought he could totally relate hahaha. JK! But in all seriousness, for all of his accolades (including Olympic Gold in the Marathon), he was so kind and so humble. 

A few other awesome people I met....
Rich Harshbarger, CEO of Running USA. People's backgrounds are so fascinating. He swam in the Olympic Trials when he was 17 years old. 
With Ashton Eaton. Decathlon and Pentathlon World Record holder. I forgot to turn my flash on :-(
I felt so lucky to be able to watch history in the making...
Meb's last marathon before retirement.
And Shalane Flanagan winning the women's race!

WHAT.A.WEEKEND <3
I'm glad I got to share it with you

Mom, Dad, Tony, and I
...the end.

1 comment: