Tuesday, August 29, 2017

5 Days with Dan Empfield

What was it like to spend a few days with the multisport entrepreneur, Slowtwitch.com editor / publisher, tri-specific wetsuit inventor, and Quintana Roo founder? Keep reading and I’ll tell you about it.

I met Dan at the Triathlon Business International (TBI) Conference back in January, where I was a panelist on “Expanding Diversity in Triathlon”. (Side note – he is now the President of TBI). Our conversation revolved around race (being a black woman in a white male dominated sport), swimming (an estimated 70% of African Americans cannot swim), and the drowning rate among African Americans (African American children drown at a rate nearly 3x higher than white children). This inevitably led to an interview for his website (The Circuitous Route to the Ideal Sport: Sika Henry) and naturally developed into a mentor (Dan) / athlete (Me) friendship.

If you’ve followed my triathlon journey you know that it hasn’t been easy. My love / hate (mostly hate) relationship with the bike has been well documented. I have a swimming background and while I’m capable of running a 3 hour marathon (3:00:06 to be exact) and can run an 18:25 5K off the bike, I often get beat by 20, 30, sometimes 40 minutes on the bike at the Half Iron distance. It’s demoralizing, frustrating…let’s just say that I have shed many tears over the bike. My poor parents have been on the receiving end of most of these meltdowns. While the typical response from people in the multisport / cycling community is “You just need more time in the saddle”, I knew that there was so much more to the puzzle (an FTP of 137 is NOT normal for an athlete of my capabilities). And as I began to open up to Dan, he agreed to help me solve this dilemma. Dan: “If you can find a way to get out here (Valyermo, CA), I will fix you.” No questions asked. Flight booked. As my Dad always says “you can’t take your money to the grave, seize the moment”.

Things that HAVE helped tremendously this year: training with TrainerRoad, improved position, group cycling with strong cyclists, support within the multisport community (shout out to IRaceLikeAGirl), and yes, more time in the saddle.
July 2017: My first VTS (Virginia Triathlon Series) Win (1st Woman; Tidewater Sprint Triathlon)


My Last Hope
With two weeks to go until the Ironman 70.3 World Championships – I race on September 9th – I packed my bags and off I went to California. Emotions … they ranged from anxiety (what if I’m broken and can’t be fixed) to excitement (maybe he actually CAN help me).

 Flying next to a 5lb, 10-week old beagle puppy makes the journey a lot more enjoyable.

As soon as I was picked up from the airport my brain went into overdrive. I found myself practically interviewing him. Any and every question I could think of I asked. I’m inquisitive by nature and if you are in the unique position of being with someone that specializes in something that you are passionate about …seize the moment!

During the two-hour drive to his home a few things took me by surprise. First, I didn’t realize that Dan and his wife lived at altitude. Second, I didn’t realize that I’d be training at altitude (up to 8,000 ft), and third they live in a very VERY remote area. The views were breathtaking but the thought of climbing up those mountains on a bike scared the crap out of me (I live at sea level in a pancake flat city). I realized very quickly that this trip would force me to face my fears.

The drive to Valyermo, CA
After settling into the guest house, I was given a quick tour of the property – and I call it property because it reminded me of a ranch. There were horses, 4 amazing dogs, main house, guest house, bike studio / lab, and so on. Then I officially met his wife Tanya. What can I say. She was very beautiful, sweet and welcoming. By the end of the trip I was telling her everything – dreams, fears, work, being single… You know how it’s kind of nerve wracking when you stay with someone for the first time? It’s either going to be awkward and uncomfortable or you are going to hit it off right away. Lucky for me I felt right at home.

Dan, Tanya, and I
They kept me laughing. My cheeks hurt by the end of the trip.
Time to Work
My first workout was a run at ~7,000 ft. Up and down the mountain we went. By far the steepest run I’ve ever done and my first time running at that kind of altitude. It was challenging but there is something about running that feels very natural. I handled it well. Fear number one solved: I WILL be able to handle the challenging 13.1 mile run at the World Championships. And maybe I can even get close to that elusive 1:30 off the bike that I haven’t been able to crack.

Now for the bike….Day 2 was all about getting me properly fitted and comfortable on the new bike Dan built for me. Truth be told I thought this was going to be our biggest dilemma. No way could this man build a bike that could fit my specs – even though I’m 5’10” I have the longest legs known to man (saddle height: 795mm). Blessing and a curse (I was a collegiate high jumper). Fear number 2 solved: it fit! All we had to do was make minor adjustments. Relief!

The mad scientist at work
First Fitting (video)
My new Scott Plasma Premium
We threw the bikes in his truck and drove to a road where I could hop on the bike, ride a quarter mile out and back, hop off, make adjustments and do it again and again. He fidgeted with the bike until it was just right. And now for the test…. We went to a secluded, flat, paved, road. Goal: See how fast I could go for 6 miles. I averaged ~24 mph. Yes, that’s right. I flew. Fear number 3 solved: I’m capable of riding fast on the right bike.
One of the perks to staying with Dan. He let me try everything. Here are the new Roka shades. I rode in the Vendee (selfie on the left). They didn’t budge, never fogged, no squinting, extremely comfortable. The Phantom is on the right.

The Swim
The first swim we did was at altitude and I SUFFERED. I felt like I couldn’t breathe. Truth be told, I was miserable. But it was well worth it. Swimming is all about technique and mine was in desperate need of tweaking (my Half Ironman swim time: ~35 minutes…not slow, but not competitive). I didn’t realize how much I was crossing over or that my pull was totally inefficient. By the end of the trip I was averaging 4 seconds faster. Fear number 4 solved: I WILL be able to swim upstream at the World Championships. I know. I had a lot of fears.

Each day was similar but different. We started around 7 am, swam, biked, and ran. Went to different altitudes and terrain, practiced ascending, descending (up to 40 mph) and taking sharp turns at a fast pace. I also learned about gears – which ones to shift into – cadence – I thought 60 was just fine oops LMAO, and that I shouldn’t be up out of the saddle every time I saw a hint of incline. Now for those that are expert cyclists this might seem like common sense. Good for you. If you’ve only been in the sport a couple of years and don't know this stuff, you are not alone.

Dan taping the bars

The Last Day of Training
This was a true test of my will to persevere. My biggest fear – fear number 5 – is making it through the toughest section of the bike leg at my upcoming race. The climb to Lookout Mountain at Chattanooga….let’s just say I’ve already had countless nightmares about it. And what’s the best way to conquer your fears? You face your fears. So I let Dan take me to an area that replicated the climb I’d be facing at the Ironman 70.3 World Championships.

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

My stomach was in knots. Before we took off I even mumbled that I was scared. I had no idea what was in store. Once we started climbing I thought it was never going to end. I honestly hated him for those 30 or so minutes. When he asked me how I was doing it went something like “I’m miserable, this hurts, I can’t do this anymore, my legs burn, I’m not going to keep going, (in my head: screw you), how much longer???”. His response every time “keep pedaling, we are almost there, you can stop when we get to the top.” Yeah well .. it felt like the top was never going to appear. We just kept climbing and climbing and climbing. Epic meltdown, choking back tears, threatening to unclip. It was bad. And you know what’s so funny? I freakin made it to the top. I couldn’t believe it. At first I was mad at him (for making me do it), and then upset with myself (that I wasn’t able to handle the pain better), and now …. I’m proud and I feel strong. When I look at the big picture it’s the most comfortable I’ve ever felt on a bike. It’s amazing what the ideal fit / position can do.

Chattanooga here I come!

More pics from my visit...
I'd like to think the ride did him in, but I'm pretty sure it was dealing with my meltdown and refusal to keep riding. #therapydogs LOL

How our days started and ended. Pressed coffee in the morning and home made meals at night.

Can't beat this view.

With Maxie and "Pretty Lady". Lovely dogs.

With the woman of the house, Dan's wife Tanya...she runs things ;-)

I got to feed the horses. I'm a lucky lady <3 Thank you Dan and Tanya. It was an unforgettable experience.

13 comments:

  1. Amazing Read! You are a sleeping giant best selling author! And one day I will be proven right. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if I ever write a book I know I'll have at least one reader :-)

      Delete
  2. This is a great post.

    I just sent your description of that climb to my wife. I'm sure she'll have some sympathy for you, since that just about describes any new climb she has ridden with me. She never thinks she can do it, and cusses me out the whole way up, but always manages to get to the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please tell your wife she is not alone! I always feel like "I'm never going to get through this", but I do and it's the best feeling in the world. I'm sure she feels the same.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. What a great read, and i could and should have known that dan would work on your fit as my reaction was on that first ST article on you. I still remember vividly how he, tanya and mark were super friendly there when i arrived there almost 9 years ago. By the way, where you live, are the men blind or something? Or are they just scared for a beautiful long legged girl....;-) they must be since you are single.. enjoy your new bike, you and the bike look great together. Regards Jeroen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!

      When they find out how slow I am on a bike they run away ;-)

      Delete
  4. Thank you for your story. Excellent read! Maybe you want to tweak the dimensions of your practice bike with what you learned on your new bike. Both your writings and Dan's are a revelation. Keep growing in your sport. Best of luck (on top of all you've learned and done) in the coming Championship competition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! That's exactly what I plan on doing. Dan gave me a list of the fit measurements. I plan to share those with my local bike shop (Village Bicycles) and have them adjust the Shiv accordingly.

      Thanks for following my journey! I'll definitely share my results from the race on my next blog post. Countdown....

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a awesome experience.... you were truly blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure how I accidentally removed your comment :-( But thanks Julie!! You're so sweet.

      Delete