Monday, July 17, 2017

My First Triathlon Victory

Unbelievable!
Action shot from last week's race in Western VA
No, I didn’t win an Ironman or Escape from Alcatraz or Wildflower. I won the Tidewater Sprint Triathlon. And you know what? It feels pretty freakin amazing.

This race holds a special place in my heart. When I decided to do my first triathlon back in 2013 I was at such a low point in my life. I was desperate for a distraction. This race couldn’t have been more perfect – location, distance, course – it’s ideal for a newbie triathlete. When I crossed the line in 54th place I was beyond excited. I didn’t care how bad I was. It got me out of bed that morning, and it was the first time I had a genuine smile on my face in months. I felt on top of the world. Did I ever think I’d come back and win this race one day? No way. Did I fantasize about it? Heck yeah! I enjoyed this race so much I came back in 2015 (14thplace) and 2016 (4th place).

Getting out of my comfort zone….
A week before the Tidewater Tri I was supposed to do Rev 3 Williamsburg. Instead, I scratched that idea and drove out to Western Virginia for a tri training camp followed by a Sprint Duathlon. When it comes to the sport of triathlon there are so many pieces to the puzzle. It’s not all about how fast you are. Swim technique, bike handling skills, transition from the swim to bike and bike to run, nutrition… can make or break a race. I still have a lot of learning to do! But that’s what I love about this sport – there’s potential for massive improvement and I'm willing to learn.

Tri Camp
Fun times with nice people. There was a good mix. Some were training for their first tri. I recommend signing up for a camp like this (https://californiatriathlon.org/skills-camp/) if you are interested in learning the basics: sharp corner turns on the bike, bottle exchange while riding, perfecting your swim stroke, proper running form, etc.

The Race: Duathlon (Run – Bike – Run)

I actually wasn’t nervous at all. My one and only goal was to practice what I learned.

I won J
With Sam (1st Male) and Thom - Coach and founder of California Triathlon

Thank you to the Richmond’s for hosting me. I learned a lot during my time out there in the middle of nowhere ;-) Absolutely beautiful area but very hilly!

Race Week
I was TIRED! I think it was a combination of the long drive to and from camp, the camp itself, the race and the fact that it had been in the upper 90s all week. I told my coach that I was wiped out and really concerned about the upcoming race. We cut back on my training and focused on my nutrition. I kept my fingers crossed that my body would cooperate on race day. I knew I was going to have to be in the mix on the swim, average +20 mph on the bike and run under 19 minutes in the 5K if I was going to have any shot at winning.

The day before the race my body started coming around, and race morning I felt great! It’s amazing what rest and proper nutrition can do :-)

The Swim (500 meters....650?): 11:37
OK so I don’t know what was up with the swim this year. The course was a triangle and I think we swam into a current which may have shifted the buoys – it ended up being about 650 meters and everyone’s times were a few minutes slower than previous years. I can’t sight (the buoys) to save my life so I ended up drafting and following the feet in front of me.
I exited the water in 8th with the two girls I'd end up sharing the podium with. We made a mad dash to T1, put on our helmets, grabbed our bikes and we were off. 

The Bike (10.75 miles): 31:46
I got dropped IMMEDIATELY. I used to get caught up in what others were doing and get upset with myself during the bike leg, but I'm gradually learning how to tune it all out and focus on myself. I ended up averaging 20.2 mph. I've still got quite a ways to go on the bike but you know what? I'm making a lot of progress. It's all about progress!
2013: 44:17
2015: 35:19
2016: 33:24
2017: 31:46

The Run (5K): 18:25
As I was heading out on the run I saw the first place woman and she was sooooo far ahead. My heart sunk. I came there to win the race. Then I saw the second place female. She looked light years ahead as well. I kept counting women. I was in 5th. I felt fit and strong and had confidence that I could run my way into third. Plus my Coach gave me the green light to go all out on the run so I went into sprint mode. I promised myself that no matter what I was going to fight for every second.

Within the first mile I ran my way into 3rd. The second place woman was still pretty far ahead but when I want something bad enough I'm willing to suffer for it. I stopped looking at my watch. I didn't want to know my pace. I told myself to just sprint until I couldn't sprint anymore.

By mile 2 I ran my way into second place. I was desperate to find the first place woman. I kept repeating “Anything is possible, don't give up” over and over AND over again. And sure enough I spotted her. I'm going to keep it real...I thought I was going to puke all over the place. She was still quite a ways ahead but I was closing the gap..and running out of course. But I think in most races you have to ask yourself “how bad do I want this?" I wanted it REALLY bad. I didn’t care if I collapsed, puked, whatever. With about a quarter mile to go I got up on my toes and began to sprint past her. She put up a fight and began sprinting too. All I could think was "oh gosh, please no, I just want to stop". I began to feel the gap grow but I was too afraid to slow down. I ended up running an 18:25 5K and broke the run course record. I think my last mile might have actually been a mile PR for me.
Progression:
2013: 21:48
2015: 19:37
2016: 19:09
2017: 18:25

When I crossed the finish line my first thought was “oh thank God I can stop”. Second thought: “well that hurt”. Third thought: “wait, did I win?? I think I freakin won.” Unfortunately there were two waves. I had to wait a few minutes for the first place woman from the second wave to cross the finish line before they called the official winner. Those 5-10 minutes felt like an eternity. 
 Yes! I did it. I won :-)
I constantly rave about the Tidewater Sprint because I think it’s the ideal race for someone who wants to get started in the sport of triathlon. In fact, I wish there were more races out there like this one - short open water swim, optional novice division for those who want to start last, flat simple bike course, same for the run. It's PERFECT for someone new to the sport.
With Greg Hawkins, Virginia/Maryland Triathlon Series Race Director.
Thank you for the support. I love representing VTSMTS <3
Making new friends....with fellow members of the Black Triathletes Association.

Next up: The Boston Triathlon!! That's right. I'll be flying with my bike. Thank you SCICON

As always, a HUGE thank you to IRaceLikeAGirl for all their support.

Since my Mom was in town for the July 4th weekend and somehow I only have pics on here of my Dad and I....Introducing, my best friend, my Mom <3


14 comments:

  1. Sika- I am so excited for you. Please don't ever give up and keep going! I have big dreams for you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so freakin' awesome!! So happy for you and how your hard work paid off! Big congrats...we met in St Louis and you were talking about your goals..so glad you shared your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Yes, I remember! Thanks for reading. Hopefully we'll get a chance to chat in Baltimore at the next NBMA Summit.

      Delete
  3. Awesome is the only words that can do this justice. Ok, I will add inspirational too. Congrats!!! You're a superhero for real.

    PS. I have the same bag .... 🤔

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!

      Definitely nervous about flying with my bike, but I'm looking forward to using the bag.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations! Especially on your improvements!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! The bike is still a work in progress but it's coming along :-)

      Delete
  5. You are such an inspiration! This is my first year doing the sport and I love it! I can't wait to improve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the sport! It's definitely addictive ;-) Keep at it. Improvement takes time, as most things do. Enjoy the journey and thanks for reading!

      Delete
  6. Sika como te encuentro en Twitter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a love/hate relationship with Social Media lol. I'm considering joining ;-)

      Delete
  7. Awesome story! I'm encouraged to keep tri-ing!

    ReplyDelete