Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Pre One City Marathon Thoughts and Feelings

Endurance: the power to withstand pain or hardships; the ability or strength to continue despite fatigue, stress, or other adverse conditions.

In less than two weeks I’ll be doing another marathon. 26.2 miles separate ME from THIS...
It’s hard to believe I did this race almost a year ago. The woman I was then is different than the woman I am now. My 2015 One City Marathon goals were simple: enjoy the experience and finish the race. That's it. Never in a million years could I have imagined what was in store – first female, a $500 check, interviews, and most importantly amazing relationships were formed and a door to countless opportunities were opened. I will forever be grateful for that day, that race, and that outcome.

But that was then and this is now. I have a coach, a plan, and a lot of fitness that I'm hoping will shine through on Sunday, March 13th. Still, I’m nervous. Really nervous! I have a lot more expectations of myself this time around. I want to run faster and of course I’d love to win again. But it's a marathon. Endurance racing is no joke #respectthedistance. No matter how much preparation you put in it will come down to a dual between body and mind. I'm certain that there will be a point in the race when I will start to suffer, want to slow, and will have to pull out every trick in the book to keep going. It's inevitable. But I know if I can just hang on, I'll get through it. In fact, that was one of the most important lessons I learned from the Dallas Marathon three months ago. When I started to fade and nearly dropped out before the 20-mile marker, I didn't stop. I just kept going. One foot in front of the other. Not only was I able to push through the bad patch, but I ended up passing the 4th female somewhere between miles 24 and 25 and crossed the finish line with a 3-minute PR. The mind controls the body, and the mind is limitless.
How I look at the end of most races...
I was probably thinking....just finish, just finish. Don't stop...with some expletives thrown in there.

Because of my 1st place (female) finish last year 
I get to participate in an interactive panel discussion the night before the marathon. 
Come out, eat pasta, ask questions: 

Although I feel some pressure, I also feel a certain level of comfort.
 - I've done this race before so I'm familiar with the course - it's flat, fast, and practically in my backyard (Newport News, VA).
 - I get to line up with one of my closest friends.
 - Flat-Out Events is always a class act. They put on some of the best races in Hampton Roads. (I've done the GameDay 10K, Virginia Running Festival Half Marathon, Christmas Town Dash and One City Marathon). I know I won't have to worry about fluids, volunteer support, safety, or course direction.
 - I get to represent my local running store, Point2Running!!
 - I'm strong. I'm prepared. Through the TriEqual Program and with the help of my coach I've been able to tap into another level of fitness. I was able to crank out an 18:32 5K not too long after the Dallas Marathon (usually I'm slower than a slug) and at the end of a hard 3-week training block I was able to run a 30:46 8K on a hilly course (me and hills don't mix) #confidence.
 - Hometown support...keeping my fingers crossed that I'll see some familiar faces out in the crowd...speaking of which, if you live nearby PLEASE come out. 26.2 miles is a long, long way. I don't think people realize how much it means to us participants to have support along the course. We are suffering out there. Just a simple "you can do it" has gotten me through many races. Which is why I never listen to music in a race...I wouldn't want to miss out on a single word of encouragement. Even if I'm in a daze, subconsciously I'm taking in every smile, every cheer, every clap.
The Course
My friend Catherine is making her Marathon debut.
This was us last year. She did the 8K and I did the marathon. I look rough!
I managed to talk her into doing it with me this year :)
If you're doing the 8K, Marathon Relay, or the whole shebang, Good Luck!

And lastly, on a fun and final note, I'll be "taking over" the One City Marathon, Flat-Out Events and Newport News VA Tourism Instagram accounts next week. Follow along and see my favorite spots to eat, train, and ride in Newport News...




6 comments:

  1. I'm excited for you. You've been working incredibly hard this training cycle and I can't wait to hear how you crush it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hollie :) "Crush it" ... wouldn't that be wonderful?! If I race well that will be the name of my next blog post ;-) I'm looking forward to cheering you on at Shamrock!

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to run this race as well, it's my 2nd chance at qualifying for Boston again, but hopefully getting past the registration process and actually getting in for 2017. Plus, growing up in NN, makes this race nostalgic! Good luck Sika, I know you'll do amazing ��������

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did I not know you were running?! Looking forward to seeing you out there. I love that it's a Boston Qualifier. You can do this!! I'll be rooting for you.

      Delete
  3. Go SIKA! What an awesome year you've had. Run relaxed but fearless- my favorite pre-race motto! Be strong out there, and remember, it's always worth the pain (a wise woman once told me that ;) ) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did say that, didn't I? Look at me...giving advice to an Olympic Marathon Trials qualifier ;-) Thanks Sheeds!!!

    ReplyDelete