Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Pre Dallas Marathon

I don’t think I’ve ever blogged before a race. To be honest, I wish I had before the One City Marathon in March. I keep asking myself “was I this nervous”, “did I feel ready”….it would be nice to have something in writing to reference. The only thing I have is this lovely interview I did with my local newspaper before my last marathon: video

For those of you who actually read my blog that I haven’t told, I will be racing the Dallas Marathon on December 13th, my birthday WTF. I didn’t plan it that way. It just happens to fall on my birthday. I can think of a thousand other things I’d rather be doing…like sleeping in until 10 am, sipping mimosas, followed by a full body massage…NOT covering 26.2 miles by foot on asphalt.

No matter what happens. I will be doing this 2 days after the Marathon. Tickets booked. Trip planned :)

How all this came about
As a member of the National Black Marathoners Association I’ve been lucky enough to keep in touch with one of the co-founders (Tony Reed...he's awesome. Tony - if you're reading this I will see you in 2 weeks!). He mentioned attending the 2015 NBMA Hall of Fame and Awards Banquet…and recommended doing the full marathon. Ummmm yeah no thanks (to the latter). At the time, I had just bombed my last triathlon, I was totally exhausted from racing, and I still had some painful memories from trying to recover from my last marathon. It just didn’t sound appealing. Oh and I prefer doing a 16-week marathon training cycle. If I decided to go through with it I would only have 10 weeks to prepare. Plus I would have to travel to Dallas and run 26.2 miles on my birthday.

I’m crazy and a weirdo and I like to torture myself so of course I signed up. I now have less than two weeks before I toe the starting line. Time flies.

I have a laundry list of things I am currently nervous about….
  - Race day weather – please don’t be windy, please be on the cooler side, please don’t rain
  - The course. Dear Hills, go easy on me
  - Traveling solo…it will just be me, myself, and I, in a new city, far from home
  - Hitting “the wall”. You know that awful feeling when you use up all of your glycogen stores and have 0% energy and there’s not a darn thing you can do about it
  - Staggering to the finish line (see above)
  - Or worse, DNF’ing (for my non athlete friends this means Does Not Finish)
  - Or even worse, not reaching my goals

Wow, it actually helps to write this stuff down. In my head it felt like 1,000 things. Seven isn’t so bad J

On the contrary, I’m excited about….
  - Attending the pre-race banquet – there will be some talented and amazing people attending that I plan to stalk
  - Race day – that moment when the gun goes off and the nerves and obsessive thoughts suddenly and unexpectedly disappear, and a calmness takes over
  - Running in a new city… I like to sightsee. Although, I’d prefer it not be 26.2 miles on foot
  - Meeting new people…I’ve made lifelong friends through this sport...on the starting line, on line at the porta potty, etc...seriously
  - Crossing the finish line – that moment is so indescribable. I smile just thinking about it
  - Possibly exceeding my expectations
  
One of the times I exceeded my expectations.

Looking at the big picture
Even though I've only had 10 weeks to prepare, my training has been pretty flawless. I’ve done some killer workouts – a few 20-milers, a 15-miler at goal pace, tempo runs, AND I’ve managed to stay consistent on the bike and in the pool. Best of all, I managed a pretty big half marathon PB (personal best) 3 weeks ago.

First Female, PR, 1:26:57, 6:39/mile pace
I love Flat-Out races.

I’ve only had two hiccups...who has a flawless marathon build up?? 1) I was super fatigued at the end of October and had a crappy race – most likely from over-training. 2) I took a nasty and embarrassing spill on Saturday. I’m black and blue and there was some swelling but it hasn’t impacted my training….good sign.

#FAIL

Goals
C – Line up healthy/injury-free, race smart, finish
B – PR (sub 3:11:16)
A – 3:08 …if everything goes right, I think I have a shot at running around 3 minutes faster than my personal best
A+ .... 


1 comment:

  1. Its an inspiring and superb piece written with sincerity and passion capturing the essence of running and distance running in particular... Super stuff !!!

    ReplyDelete