Wednesday, September 11, 2013

..and another one bites the dust


I am happy to report that I have successfully completed my second triathlon thanks to a consistent month of training, a new road bike (Trek Lexa C ‘13), and (drum roll please) a new sponsor (www.sugoi.com).
 

A few days after my first triathlon back in July I felt incredible and truly loved the experience so I signed up for the Patriots Sprint Triathlon (750m swim/20k bike/5k run) in Williamsburg. I figured if I could get a few ocean swims in, buy a good road bike – this was a must after my first race experience (please refer to my previous blog post) – and get some triathlon apparel, I might be able to “race” versus “participate/just finish”.

Lucky for me my Mom planned a family trip to Miami (oh and a happy birthday shout out to my Mom today ... yes, 9/11) which meant lots of open water swimming with my super talented swimmer brother, a few good brick workouts (swim ½ mile – run 3 miles), and some training advice from my Dad (who used to bike pretty consistently).
 
 
Now typically when I get home from vacationing with my family I’ve put on a few pounds, feel out of shape and quite honestly ...this picture sums it up pretty perfectly:
 
 
Not this time. When I got back from Miami I felt incredibly fit, my weight didn’t budge, and I felt surprisingly well rested.

Next on the agenda: find a road bike. If you are ever in the Hampton Roads, VA area and are looking for a great biking store, Bike Beat (http://bikebeatonline.com/) is the place to go. They have locations in Williamsburg, Yorktown, Chesapeake and Virginia Beach. I told them my budget, that I was in need of a simple introductory road bike, and that I wanted to feel as comfortable as possible. They picked this beauty out for me, let me do a few test spins on the road and then literally spent about an hour and a half to two hours getting me fitted (they had to figure out my “leg situation”…apparently they are super long).
 

Of course eager, excited me couldn’t wait to get out on the road the very next day. And guess what happened? About 5 miles into my ride crash, boom, on the road, blood, embarrassed, bruised, but surprisingly my bike barely had a scratch on it. Oh right, because it landed ON TOP OF ME….literally! After picking up my bike and assessing the damage to my body, I was thankful that my injuries were only superficial. Unfortunately I started to tremble as I got back on my bike out of fear that I would fall again so I decided to call it a day.


A few things I’ve learned from my bike crash, 1) listen to your Father when he tells you to wear gloves (2 weeks later and my hands are still trying to heal, but I’m happy to report that I received a pair of gloves from my sponsor), 2) if you’re new to biking, practice in quiet neighborhoods that have wide flat roads and a speed limit around 25 or below (so glad I did this or it could have been much worse), and 3) get back on your bike the very next day (if you aren’t seriously injured of course). In some ways I’m grateful for my crash. It was a learning experience, but most of all it calmed me. Getting back on the road the next day gave me confidence. Reminds me of that quote I can’t seem to fully remember … something  dealing with perseverance. But I do like the Lombardi quote below!

 

My next post will be a race recap (with pictures!!)….more to come, stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment